Kindle vs eReader

Since I’ve finished school I have found my self to be reading quite often, and it seems that it’s a hobby I quite enjoy. Since I’m also a big gadget fan, I started shopping around for an eBook reading device. The two dominant readers that are out there at the moment are Amazon’s Kindle & Sony’s eReader. It’s a tough decision, because they both have great features, but the question is, which one is for me.
So I decided to do a little comparison between the two, and to also find out what is it that I need from an eBook reader.
So here we go =)

Amazon's Kindle around $400
Comes in white, and has a built in Keyboard
EVDO internet
Plays Audio
SD card slot
Wikipedia
Dictionary
Blogs $1/each
RSS feed $1/each
Transfers texts & PDF’s for $0.10/each
Kindle bookstore


Sony's eReader around $300
Comes in silver or black, and has side buttons for naviagation
No internet
Plays Audio
SD card slot/Memory stick
Blogs / RSS feed – free
Reads PDFs, TXT, RTF, and DOC files – free.
eReader bookstore

The book prices are about the same, it seems that each one has something to provide that its competitor doesn’t have. The Kindle has the internet “click and download” feature, which is very appealing to many people. The eReader however, offers more free readable formats, which compensates (in my opinion) for not having internal internet.

I personally don’t mind having to download the content to my computer/ SD card first, before transferring it over to the eReader. I will end up backing up my downloads on my machine anyway. So to me that’s a “feature” =)

As you see, they both have great features that out way their minor set backs. So I personally vote for the eReader, because it does exactly what I need for it to do. I’m a tech so I deal with a lot of PDFs, TXT and what not, so the fact that the eReader supports those formats makes it a no brainier for me. I don’t mind not having internet, it will only be a distraction for me =)

If you are however a speed reader then the kindle might be a better choice, because it will allow you to download books in about a minute directly to your Kindle, as long as you have a signal (think cell phone).
I hope my little comparison has helped you as much it has helped me.

Have a good day.
-Ash =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No more controllers for playing games

Look out iPhone, the G1 is coming. sw33t.