BlackBerry DTEK50 : Update Issue

Hello World,
 I hope you have been doing well, its been a while, and life has been keeping me busy. But I wanted to make this post to help others who might be in the same situation as I am.

Let me start by saying that I'm a HUGE BlackBerry fan, I've loved and used their machines for a long time. The file-ing structure just works great with my way of thinking, then when they starting moving into the Android OS I was in mobile heaven. Granted the DTEK50 shell wasn't made by them, but the hybrid Android-BlackBerry functionality is very much to my liking.


In 2016 I got me a sweet DTEK50, love the phone. The only other issue I've had was the headphone jack died, but that' nothing Bluetooth didn't fix. And now, this update issue. For some reason it just would not accept the latest update. I would get stuck in this loop of downloading and verifying and failing and back again. So I did some digging and sound a way to get it up and running, so I'm writing this post to help any other DETK50 users out there.


The whole thing falls into two main steps really.
Step One: Uninstalling the Google Play Services
Step Two: Downloading and Installing the update
There are a few nuances that may or may not get in your way.

I found this workaround in the OTAfix website, which comes up on your phone, but the text on the phone is not clickable, so I placed it here for your convenience.
Alright lets get to it.

Step One: Uninstalling the Google Play Services
1. Go to Settings (the gear symbol on your top menu bar)
2. Select Apps
3. Select Google Play Services
4. Select the right top menu (three dots)
5. Select Uninstall Updates

Step Two: Downloading and Installing the update
1. Go to Settings
2. About Phone (at the very bottom of the list)
3. System Updates
4. Check for update
5. Download the update
6. Restart & Install


NOTE:
At one point I did run into this error:
"Can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator"
The fix for that is to disabled the "Find My Device" feature.

Here is how you do that from that error page.
1.Select MANAGE DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS at the bottom of the error message screen
2.De-select Android Device Manager or Find My Device


I hope this was helpful my fellow androidanauts
Have a tech savvy day.

-Ash



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No more controllers for playing games

Look out iPhone, the G1 is coming. sw33t.