Active Learning : Security +

Hello World,
 So recently 2 of my friends and I started a little Study Group, one of us is very much interested in getting the Security + certification, and the other 2 are inspired by that human, so the 3 of us decided that we shall study together, and hopefully all 3 of us take the exam and get certified. Its a good cert to have, especially in this field. I actually am not being considered for a position because I don't have this cert, so that is encouraging me to get it.

What we have done so far:
We met up and tried to watch an instructional video on the subject, but it was very badly made, and the "instructors" were not very good. So we instead decided that we would go the Book route. We all agreed on the same book, by the end of the night, we all had a digital copy via our Kindle/Kindle App. We then set a time line, which means we need to cover 2 chapters per week, to be able to take the exam by September, and this where things get tricky.

The 3 of us have very active lives, and plans change all the time, we do have our calendars set that on Sundays we meet and go through the 2 chapters that we did, and prepare of next week's chapters. Its been tough, at least for me, between work, self study, and creative side projects, I'm having a hard time being able to just "sit & read".

The Light Bulb.
As I was reading, I came across the idea of students using MP3 players to record their notes and listening to them for repetition to help retain the information. I then actually found a website the sells audio files for that exact purpose. So it got to thinking "why don't we make our own audio files as part of our study strategy?". I pitched it to the study group, and with in a few minutes, we sectioned off who needs to do what to make it happen.
I love my study group.

This is actually going to be very helpful, and FUN. Since we can have these files on our phones, tables, desktops, burn CDs, which ever way works best, so that we can listen to the material on the go. That way, we are actively helping each other, and not confined to having to just "sit & read".
I will keep you posted on how it goes, wish us luck.

I hope this post has sparked and inspiration for you.
Have a lovely weekend.
-Ash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No more controllers for playing games

Look out iPhone, the G1 is coming. sw33t.